On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new computer, assembled piece by piece, and the cpu is
> supposed to be an intel i5-7600 LGA1151. The original box says "7th
> generation".
>
> However:
>
> $  gcc -### -E - -march=native 2>&1 | sed -r '/cc1/!d;s/(")|(^.* - )//g'
> -march=broadwell -mmmx -mno-3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3
> -mno-sse4a -mcx16 -msahf -mmovbe -maes -mno-sha -mpclmul -mpopcnt
> -mabm -mno-lwp -mfma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mbmi -mbmi2 -mno-tbm -mavx
> -mavx2 -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mlzcnt -mrtm -mhle -mrdrnd -mf16c -mfsgsbase
> -mrdseed -mprfchw -madx -mfxsr -mxsave -mxsaveopt -mno-avx512f
> -mno-avx512er -mno-avx512cd -mno-avx512pf -mno-prefetchwt1 --param
> l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param
> l2-cache-size=6144 -mtune=generic -fstack-protector-strong
>

> ?!
>

> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 158
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
> stepping        : 9
> microcode       : 0x42
> cpu MHz         : 900.207
> cache size      : 6144 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 4
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 4
> apicid          : 0
> initial apicid  : 0
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 22
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
> syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts
> rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni
> pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16
> xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer
> aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch intel_pt
> tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle
> avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt
> xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify
> hwp_act_window hwp_epp
> bugs            :
> bogomips        : 7008.00
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:
>

> $ lshw
>
> (...)
>      *-cpu
>           product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
>           vendor: Intel Corp.
>           physical id: 52
>           bus info: cpu@0
>           version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
>           serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
>           slot: LGA1151
> [...]

While I don't have anything that new handy, the 6MB cache checks out
against intel's specs for the i5-7600. The broadwell i5-5675 lists off at a
4MB cache (not including the eDRAM). GCC seems to like going with a
slightly more tried & true feature set when faced with a fancy, new, chip,
in my experience. Especially if the version of GCC in use isn't the
absolute bleeding edge latest and greatest.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy