On Fr, 28 Apr 01:27:23 +0200
wabe <waben...@gmail.com> wrote:
Floyd Anderson <f...@31c0.net> wrote:

On Do, 27 Apr 16:56:00 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>One thing about alt sysreq, once you get to a certain point, you
>have >to go "all the way" with it. I've found that just the R and E
>generally >gets things back to a point it is accessible and I don't
>have to go >through it all. I think once you get to the I or S, it's
>all or nothing at that point. Even after the E, you may have to
>start/restart some init processes. FYI, I'm pretty sure the S is
>what syncs the file systems and the U unmounts everything.  Of
>course, the B reboots.  I can't recall what the others do exactly.
With access to the kernel sources, you doesn’t have to remember what
the others do, see
‘/usr/src/linux/Documentation/admin-guide/sysrq.rst’.

This file doesn't exist on my system (not even the directory
"admin-guide").

I can find it under:

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt
That’s interesting, I doesn’t expect that. Maybe we are using different kernel sources. Mine is ‘sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.10.12::gentoo’ but wait, I’ve found it also under ‘Documentation/sysrq.txt’ with version 4.9.16 and it’s slightly a little bit different (in form not in content as far as I can see).

But in my case I even had no access to any file, because no command
was working anymore. So I think it is better to have these information
on a good old sheet of paper. ;-)
Ha, yes of course, a paper backup beats them all (under typical circumstances). ;-)

--
Regards,
floyd