170504 Philip Webb wrote:
> I want to get my new Epson V550 working on Gentoo,
> having successfully installed Epson's driver on Mint.
>
> I installed the Gentoo pkg 'dpkg', which handles .deb archives,
> & listed the content of the  3  .deb files in the Epson driver pkg.
> They cb viewed at  http://chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/
> with names beginning with 'v550'.
>
> It appears that the pkg installs a utility 'iscan',
> a Sane plugin called 'epkowa', which is not available via Sane-backends
> ( /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap  doesn't list it),
> plus some further data files + a lot of dox.

I've tried  3  methods without success :
(1) install Iscan via Portage & copy the other files in the .deb ;
(2) copy all the files in the .deb  (apart from dox) (list checked) ;
(3) try to run the  install.sh  script.

None of them succeeds in getting the scanner recognised.

There is a pkg  media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820  for a V600 :
I could take the V550 back & exchange it for a V600
& try to install Iscan + data + that plugin.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca