On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Sam Jorna <wra...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 02/06/17 23:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> The stage3 make.conf shouldn't include this.  Now, if you copied your
>> make.conf from some other source like a LiveCD then that could explain
>> where it came from.  The flag was actually invented mainly for things
>> like LiveCDs, and these are all built using USE=bindist (we couldn't
>> legally distribute them otherwise).
>
> The stage3 make.conf does include USE=bindist by default, as it includes
> packages affected by this flag (specifically openssh and openssl). It's
> required, as I understand, because the stage3 does distribute binaries
> of these packages, thus must have the patent-encumbered parts disabled.

Interesting.  It looks like we do set that in make.conf by default now
- that might be a change from the last time I did an install as I
didn't have to remove this in the past.

There is no legal requirement to set bindist in the make.conf
installed by the stage3.

There absolutely is a legal requirement to set bindist in the
make.conf used to BUILD the stage3.  The two do not need to be the
same.

--
Rich