I noticed that the root prompt does not include the full path of the current directory. Normal user:

  me@gentoopc ~ $ cd /usr/bin
  me@gentoopc /usr/bin $

However, for root:

  gentoopc ~ # cd /usr/bin
  gentoopc bin #

So for users, I can see where I am ("/usr/bin"). For root, I cannot. It just says "bin".

Now, I can change it easily in /etc/bash/bashrc (not sure if that's the correct place, but it works) by replacing "\W" with "\w". However, I'm curious as to why "\W" is used for root. When I have several root logins open (and I usually have to,) it makes it difficult to tell where I am. It says "bin", but am I in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, somewhere else?

Is there a rationale for this?