On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:52:47 +0200 Nikodemus Karlsson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> tisdag 11 oktober 2005 19.35 skrev Douglas James Dunn:
> > Can you paste a emerge "-uDpvt" world please?
>
> Here we go...
> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
> [blocks B     ] <mail-client/pine-4.64-r1 (is blocking
> [ebuild     U ] mail-client/pine-4.64-r1 [4.63-r3] -debug -kerberos
> -largeterminal -ldap +pam -passfile +ssl 3,202 kB
> [ebuild  N    ]  net-mail/uw-mailutils-2004g  2,194 kB

Nothing wrong with that. The new version of pine depends on
uw-mailutils-2004g. The first line tells you that pine versions _prior_
to 4.64-r1 do not work with uw-mailutils-2004g. That means you have to
unmerge pine and then emerge it again. It will install the new pine
and pull uw-mailutils as a dependency. You would think, portage could
have been a bit smarter and do that itself, but it is dangerous. What
if you need pine while emerge is still running and it unmerges it while
you are using it?

> almost every time when I do a complete packages upgrade using emerge
> -u world, portage flags for new packages which is going to be
> installed. Is there an option to get rid of this behavior, so I only
> get the updated packages with one command?

Why would you want to do that? If the package, that you want to upgrade,
depends on something you don't have installed it will obviously have to
emerge it first. There is only one situation where it is not the case.
The new package may be a dependency based on a (new) USE-flag. If it is
so you can disable that USE-flag in package.keywords and not install
the new package.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.