> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Francisco Ares <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, All.
> >
> > This is a bit odd, because of a non conventional hardware platform:
> Odroid
> > (Hardkernel).
> >
> > But I guess overall rules apply to all.
> >
> > I need a second network interface, the original and single one present on
> > the board is to be connected to a GigE camera, so I use a USB/ethernet
> > adapter to have SSH remote access.
> >
> > I have set up the boot manager so that network interfaces would be named
> > according to the predictable names rules. If not, the USB/eth adapter
> gets
> > "eth0" if the device is present at boot, otherwise, it is "eth1".
> >
> > But if I disconnect the USB/ethernet adapter to leave the system alone,
> and
> > after a while I need to take a look on what's going on and plug back the
> > USB/ethernet adapter, it comes up as "eth0" again.
> >
> > Anyone could give me a hint on where to look at it?  Why the new
> interface
> > is named in a way during boot and another during normal use?
> >
> > Thank you!
>
> Your question doesn't seem to involve any mixing of the naming schemes
> at all, and it looks like the kernel you are using simply uses the old
> style names. Can you compile your own kernel which supports the new
> naming convention, remove net.ifnames=0 from the kernel command line
> if it is present, or check for udev rules that perform naming that
> overrides the default? You may wish to refer to
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Networking/
> Advanced#Network_interface_naming
> though it is not very information dense.
>
> Unfortunately my experience with hardkernel devices is that the
> developers put most of their effort behind the Android release and
> will make an Ubuntu release, if it exists, barely work. I would
> strongly recommend not buying their devices. They barely support them
> and without their help the devices are unsupportable.
>
> R0b0t1.

Thanks for the tip.  I've checked in /etc/udev files and directories, and
there is no rule for naming interfaces.

Instead of removing "net.ifnames=0" from the kernel command line, I have
altered it to "net.ifnames=1". Gonna try removing it at once.

But, imho, Odroid is a good hardware, and I have learned a lot about Linux
- not Android - in their Odroid magazine. And their Ubuntu image works very
good. And, as always, there are a lot of guys in the community.

Thank you!
Francisco