Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 07 Jul 2017 07:53:01 Martin Vaeth wrote:
>
>> ... my original text was arguing against the claim that the primary
>> purpose of hardened kernels was to protect against untrusted users
>> sitting in front of the keyboard.
>
> It wasn't a claim, just an impression

Sorry that my formulation was unfortunate.
My intention had been to explain why that impression is wrong IMHO.

Anyway, this discussion is meanwhile almost pointless since
hardened-sources are pratically no longer available for "normal"
users, and so also the hardened profile has become almost pointless.

As a small substitute, I would recommend to follow the recommendations
of the kernel self projection project and to use the

default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop

profile or - if you are limited to x86 - to combine

default/linux/x86
releases/17.0
targets/desktop

which enables the current compilers with some default-enabled
security relevant CFLAGS.
In addition you can also add -fstack-check=specific
to CFLAGS and -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro to LDFLAGS.

All this is not a complete substitute for TPE and friends but
better than nothing.