I launched a Linux Mint liveDVD in QEMU like so:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -enable-kvm -drive
if=virtio,file=Mint_18.2_HDA.qcow2,cache=none -cdrom linuxmint-18.2-
cinnamon-64bit.iso

and noticed a warning popping up informing me Cinnamon is running without
video hardware acceleration available and everything will be rendered in
software.

I've had a similar experience when running Cinnamon on VirtualBox on a quite
old 32bit desktop, but thought this i7 laptop + QEMU may fair better.

Another annoying thing was the bottom of the screen was cropped off and to see
the main menu and toolbar I have to move the mouse past the bottom edge of the
window.  The visual aperture is smaller than the desktop screen size.  I don't
know if this in anyway related to the above warning.

Anyway, is there a setting I could enable to have hardware acceleration on
QEMU, or have I come across a hardware limitation of this laptop?  Grateful
for any pointers.
--
Regards,
Mick