On 2017-07-29 20:07, Grant Edwards wrote:

> > Correct.  All my scripts run with IFS='' so for me it does work ;-)
>
> Ah, I hadn't thought about that.  I might have to thy that.  It makes
> code cleaner-looking when you don't have to put all varible references
> inside double-quotes.  But, in what ways is it going to trip me up
> after all these decades of writing shell scripts the old way?

Well, anywhere you expand an unquoted variable, or command output via ``
or $(), and depend on it being split into separate words.

I now religiously use this idiom:

ifson ; set -- $( foo ) ; ifsoff

for x ; do bar $x ; done

to act on separate words output from foo.

Basically, I am trying to make my sh(1) scripts look like rc(1) scripts,
without the rc bugs and missing features.