Hi, R0b0t1.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 20:44:10 -0500, among other, you wrote:

> > Not to get away from OP's question, but how good would the installer
> need to be before it held the interest of any developers that manage
> the website or handbook?
>
> I ask because the much simpler thing I suggested - fleshing out the
> handbook - has been done and redone by some individuals and some of
> the guides are truly inspired. Unfortunately, I think it keeps being
> redone because these guides are hard to find and because the people
> who make them have no way to contribute to the handbook.
>
> Sakaki's EFI install guide, while very specific, is something that the
> majority of people who want to use Linux but don't want to maintain
> Portage seem to expect from the handbook. It actually tells them how
> to configure most of the things that produce a modern x86 system that
> interacts with a user. I mention it because it is the only guide I'm
> aware of that has persisted long enough to be indexed by Google that
> is also still relevant.
>
> The problem most people seem to have with Gentoo is not necessarily
> the installation process, but knowing what to configure after they
> have it installed.

That's why documentation is essential. otherwise the work done would be
worth just for its creators and for a short time, since time wipes out
knowledge.

So, as "Gentoo" is distro of choice, the choices should be documented,
and to be easily understood/found well structured.

but besides documentation many things might be automated -- as we see
now: installation and administration (common for "Gentoo" tasks).

But i still do not understand why there is no choice of the desired
packages but profiles only.

I recall the the branch to "Necessity of installer and complete
documentation".

Thank you for your time,
Sthu.