On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Robin Atwood <ro...@binro.org> wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad T410 where, after I installed Gentoo on it, everything
> "just worked (TM)". The sound is via the bog-standard Intel chips on the
> mobo and uses the hda_intel drivers. I didn't use the TP for a long time,
> just periodically updating Gentoo, but when I eventually did try to use it
> the sound was muted. This means I shut down the X server to remove
> complications from the desktop and from the console aplay doesn't produce
> any sound. Everything looks normal, driver modules loaded, alsamixer shows
> the usual output, channels all active. I booted to a windows partition and
> the sound works, so the hardware is OK. The very weird thing is if I put the
> TP to sleep with acpitool and wake it up again, the sound works for about 60
> seconds and then dies. There is nothing in the message log at all when this
> happens. I upgraded the kernel but that didn't help.
>

> This problem has been dragging on for some years and I am contemplating a
> complete re-install from scratch. But before I do that does anyone have any
> idea what I could try?
>

> TIA
>
> Robin
>

> --

> Robin Atwood.
>

> "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
>
> Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
>
> from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling

What's the output of these command lines?
(1). lspci -vnn | sed '/Audio/,/driver/!d'

(2). grep -Ei '^[^#]*(snd|hda)' linux/.config

(3). rc-update show | grep alsa

(4). grep HDA /var/log/dmesg

(5). Postinst message for alsa-utils:
pkg_postinst() {
if [[ -z ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]; then
elog
elog "To take advantage of the init script, and automate the process of"
elog "saving and restoring sound-card mixer levels you should"
elog "add alsasound to the boot runlevel. You can do this as"
elog "root like so:"
elog "# rc-update add alsasound boot"
ewarn
ewarn "The ALSA core should be built into the kernel or loaded through other"
ewarn "means. There is no longer any modular auto(un)loading in alsa-utils."
fi
}

(6). Also, if you check out the Gentoo wiki article on how to set up ALSA.
See if there's anything you might've overlooked when setting it up:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA