On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
> > I'm installing gentoo from a Knoppix disk. I'm in the chroot
> > environment now. I tried to download the thing using Firefox. It died
> >  quietly, probably because user knoppix has no permissions to write
> > to the disk.
>
> Huh? Am I missing something? (quite possibly.)
Sorry, should have been more explicit.

> 1) If you're in the chroot environment in the term, then the Gentoo
> partitions must be mounted, and you presumably mounted them under
> Knoppix (prior to chrooting). So how did you mount them that you don't
> have permissions to write to them? How did you get the Stage Tarball,
> then? and how can you install Gentoo at all, or are you saying that you
> only have write permissions to the Gentoo partitions when chrooted?
I issued "su -" as user knoppix (that's really an alias to "sudo su -"),
gave root a password, gave knoppix a password and edited /etc/sudoers to
remove all privileges from knoppix (as it was, knoppix was equivalent
to root). Then I started a ssh daemon configured to accept connections
only from office and only for user knoppix. After logging in from home
(with an office box as go-between), I issued "su -", and that's it.

> 2) IIrc (I've installed under Knoppix, but it was a while ago, so I'm a
> bit foggy), Knoppix does allow you to write to the RAM disk while it's
> running (I'm fairly sure of this, because I had to do that to download
> and install the LVM 'drivers' before I could install Gentoo with LVM2).
> So you should be able to download to that folder (iirc, it's kinda hard
> to find; if you try to download to the default directory, it won't work,
> but if you go up to the Knoppix / and then drill down, you can get to
> the RAM disk folder, where you can save to disk (and then copy the file
> to the mounted Gentoo partition).
I was at office finishing installing gentoo in chroot environment. User knoppix
had the display, of course, and couldn't make the download (don't know
where firefox puts downloads by default, but that should be easy to find
out; maybe a big download to RAM is blocked? Existing RAM should be
enough---1G). The issue is overcome now, since I already have gentoo working
with kde (although not tuned).

My mail was more of a rant against Sun than a call for help :)
I hate the downloading hassle. I would understand if they were selling
the product, but this seems just senseless...

> > I tried to download from another computer, through ssh. I went to the
> >  site with lynx. Couldn't find my way through the labyrinth that is
> > Sun's site.
>
> When you run the ebuild, you'll get the fetch restriction message, but
> that message will include the exact link to download the file (it uses
> variables for the version number, so you have to run the ebuild to get
> the precise link). Copy that link and paste/type it into the other
> computer's browser.
But I think one still has to click somewhere to accept a silly
license...

> Hope this helps,
> Holly

Cheers,