On 28/08/2017 13:41, mad.scientist.at.la...@tutanota.com wrote:
> Ok, i'm starting to understand the install instructions, a steeper curve
> than i expected but still way easier than LFS.
> So, on a dual core athlon II 6000 (two cores, 3ghz)  roughly how long
> will stage3 take to compile, roughly?

You don't compile a stage 3, that has already been done and you
downloaded it. You bunzip2 and untar a stage 3.

>From that point on, you will do exactly the same that you will do for
every other world update on Gentoo you will ever do:

- set USE flags as needed
- set items in make.conf as needed
- decide what software you want
- tell portage to make it so

The "make it so" part is your real question, but no-one can answer it as
it's a "how long is a piece of string" question.

How many extra USE flags did you set? What software did you decide to
add? How old is the stage 3 you used? A recent one will obviously need
fewer recompiles than a 6-month old one. But to portage it's all the
same - make a list of stuff to be done and do it from the beginning.

There is really no functional point in updating the stage 3 and then
doing the above; unless you want to see how it all works. Might be nice
to do it the first time, but you will likely never do it again :-)

With that hardware, I'd thumb suck guess about 3 hours if the machine
will be headless, and closer to 12 if it's a workstation with most of
say KDE or Gnome, plus a browser and openoffice and an MUA etc etc etc.
But that's just a guess, could also be anywhere from 1 hour on the low
end to 24 on the high end. Or more.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com