On 08/30/2017 01:39 PM, mad.scientist.at.la...@tutanota.com wrote:
> I do not want to start a whole systemd storm, glad i was offline for
> that.  however, in my case i'd really like to avoid systemd.  can i
> setup with out systemd, or do i need to remove and patch later.
> obviously better to start without it in this case.  so are some of the
> available kernels not systemd, and how much does it change the
> installation?  i did search for it, and found a couple docs at
> gentoo.org it doesn't look too bad.  thanks.
>
> --
> The Power Of the People Is Stronger Than The People In Charge.

We have a wiki page for it [1] that I'm awaiting review on for my edited
version[2], which briefly goes over the steps needed to setup Gentoo
without systemd.

In short:

eselect profile list
(choose one that doesn't have 'systemd' in its name)
eselect profile set [profile-number]

make.conf:
USE="$USE -systemd"

(sidenote: is logind a USE flag yet?)

package.mask:
sys-apps/systemd
sys-fs/udev

Remerging virtual/udev after configuring the above will pull in
sys-fs/eudev, which is a drop-in replacement for systemd-udev. Be sure
to merge your preferred init, and systemd will be removed on the next
depclean (if present and not in a set somewhere like @world).

[1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd
[2]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Zlg/Drafts/Gentoo_without_systemd

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net