On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 6:26 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> On 3 September 2017 20:11:51 GMT+02:00, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <
can...@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
> >The label by itself works at boot since it's just another kernel
> >parameter;
> >for example in my latop (that uses NVME, by the way) uses the following
> >in
> >the kernel command line: "root=LABEL=Dell".
>
> Since when does the kernel support labels? Last time I checked, you need
an initramfs to make that work.

You are absolutely right; the kernel only supports "PARTUUID="
out-of-the-box (/usr/src/linux/init/do_mounts.c:218), the "LABEL=" ids are
implemented by the initramfs, dracut in my case
(/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98dracut-systemd/rootfs-generator.sh:87).

The "LABEL=" id  gets translated to the corresponding /dev/disks/by-label
link, so those are the ones that should be used all the time.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards.
--
Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés