On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:50:54 PM CEST Bas Zoutendijk wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> On Wed 20 Sep 2017 at 07:05:11 -0400, John Covici wrote:
> > Restarting sendmail seems fine with me, if you want to have something
> > that works everywhere, why not get a domain name from ddns or
> > somewhere and use a full fqdn all the time -- you can put  your home
> > machine on another host in that domain and you will be good to go.
>
> Thank you for  this suggestion.  I added ‘.localdomain’ to  my host name
> and now Sendmail  uses  this  domain  name  on  all networks.  Cron mail
> arrives again at home.

Glad it works now.

> I did  not want to  try a ‘real’  domain name,  as  this could  make the
> system  accessible  from outside  the  local  network,  if  I understand
> correctly.

To say it bluntly, you don't :)

> Right now  it is  hidden behind  the router  and only  has a
> local IP address.  I would like to  keep it that way,  because then I do
> not have to worry about network security settings.  Nevertheless you led
> me to a solution.

This is how it works.

To clarify:
The IP-address determines how it is accessible. If the IP is not accessible
from the rest of the world, then you don't have to worry too much about
securing your mailserver.

The domain name is only an address-book entry. Unless it is fully entered into
the public one, noone will see the IP you are using. And as mentioned above,
even if they can, the IP is sitting behind a router and is most likely in a
private range.

--
Joost