On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Stefano Crocco <po...@stefanocrocco.it>
wrote:

> Hello to everyone,
> I just bought a 250 GB SSD and I'm planning to install Gentoo on it. I've
read
> the Gentoo Wiki page on this and searched Google for hints on this, but
since
> I found out that much information was either contradictory or outdated,
I'm
> asking anyone with first-hand experience on this for advice.
>
> My system is as follows:
>
> - 250GB SSD
> - 1TB HDD
> - 16GB RAM
>
> I'm planning to partition the SSD this way:
>
> - 100 GB -> / (on my current system, / is about 70GB)
> - 100 GB -> /home
> - 16 GB -> swap (mainly for hibernation)
> - 200 MB -> /boot
>
> /var/tmp/portage should go into a tmpfs (12GB).
>
> I've read that someone suggested putting also /tmp on a tmpfs. Right now,
on
> my system /tmp is less than 100 MB, so I believe this should cause no
> problems, but is it necessary?
>
> Large files, such as Steam games and maybe distfiles should instead go on
the
> 1TB HDD.
>
> I have some doubts about the swap partition. With 16 GB of RAM I shouldn't
> usually need swap except for hibernating (that's the reason I'm putting
it on
> the SSD); however, I fear that compiling some large packages could fill
all
> that space. Would it be bad to have the swap partition on the SSD used
this
> way every now and then? Should I create another swap partition on the HDD
and
> give it higher priority?
>
> What do you think? Do you have any advice on how to best set up such a
system?

I use a similar setup. Several top-level directories in my $HOME are bind
mounts to a large mechanical drive. My swap (16GB) is on that drive also.
I've found that 100MB is enough for the EFI /boot partition (but I clean
old kernels immediately after updating).

For the /tmp I use tmpfs (I use the size=100% option), and then in
/etc/portage/make.conf I have:

PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"

This way I fully use /tmp when compiling large packages, and don't wear
down my SSD.

Regards.
--
Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés