On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <war...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 07:55:43AM +0200, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>> I suppose it's due to Google's choice to support only Chrome, although I
>> missed the Gentoo
>> news bit if there was one.
>>
>> For Android there is the really good Open Street Map application, are there
>> any desktop
>> alternatives in Portage for non-Chrome users? I know OSM has a web interface
>> but I'd
>> prefer a standalone application.
>
> Coincidentally, I am looking for a program with which to manage a collection
> of locations. Many a year ago I did this with Googleearth – it offered a
> tree in which I sorted all sorts of locations, mostly places that I have
> been on holiday, with my school class, on tour with choirs and so on.
>
> In the end I would like to be able to view a map of my
> area/country/continent with a cloud of colourful flags/markers.
>
> I don’t really want to use Osmand for this even though it uses kml(?), the
> same format used by Googleearth. The reason being I only have a small-screen
> Android device which screen is not comfortable enough for this task and its
> storage space (for maps) is rather limited.
>
> I had a quick look at viking, but I couldn’t really get a hang of the UI and
> I got the impression that it’s not meant for this kind of use case.
>
> I do use marble now and again, but unfortunately, it does not have a marker
> feature at all.
>
> Can anyone give a suggestion? Cheerio.

I think QGIS is a good option. I invite you to search for "QGIS import
location data." You should turn up something like
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/importing_spreadsheets_csv.html.

I have no personal experience with QGIS, but I have come across it a
few times (coincidentally in the context of replacing Google Earth).
It supports everything from amateur projects to professional civil
engineering. It might feel like going 0-60 but try to give it some
time.

Respectfully,
     R0b0t1