On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 02:35:16 -0400
Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:28 AM, john <j...@jdm.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I have set up some containers with LXD which have been running fine
> > up to about a week ago.
> >
> > cgmanager no longer works as it crashes out and when I connect to
> > containers:-
> >
> > systemctl
> > Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
> >
> > which also causes network to fail.
> >
> > My belief is that lxd now relies on systemd to do the cgmanager
> > part. I don't want to install systemd as this is a Gentoo box.
> >
> > Can anyone see a way round this or a config option which may help.
>
> cgmanager was an Ubuntu project and it was abandoned when Ubuntu chose
> to migrate to systemd [1]. The README on [2] says "Please note that
> the CGManager project has been deprecated in favor of using the
> kernel's CGroup Namespace or lxcfs' simulated cgroupfs." I don't know
> what the "in favor of" means or how to take advantage of those two
> options, but maybe there's a solution in there.
>
> [1] https://s3hh.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/whither-cgmanager/
>
> [2] https://github.com/lxc/cgmanager

Thanks Tom,
I have got my containers up and running again. Before when I was using
lxd it was assigning an ip address to the container so I could connect
to outside world. After recent changes this stopped and i believe it was
down to systemd not running in the container (it was before). I now
realised that you could assign a static ip address using lxc exec
command.

John