On Monday, 6 November 2017 23:11:44 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Ian Zimmerman <i...@very.loosely.org> wrote:
> > On 2017-11-05 17:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
> >> Distros will always have to do integration work, and that is fine.
> >> That is the role of a distro.  And sometimes distros have to roll
> >> their own tools when they just aren't available.  Once upon a time
> >> service managers fell into that category.  Now this is less the case.
> >
> > What's a service manager?
>
> Easiest way to explain it is to give examples.  Openrc, systemd,
> runit, and upstart are all service managers.  I'd argue that sysvinit
> is also a service manager but nobody really uses it as one unless you
> count getty as a service.
>
> A service manager is a program used to manage the daemons running on a
> system.
> > Is making cron care about missed jobs service
> > management, but running daily/weekly/monthly jobs isn't?
>
> Cron is generally not considered a service manager though there is
> some overlap since it does manage jobs.  I wouldn't make any
> distinction in this regard to how it handles missed jobs.  Those are
> just features that a cron implementation can have or lack.
>
> It is like arguing about whether sh, dash, or bash are shells on the
> basis of the features they provide.  They're all shells, but at the
> same time we can acknowledge that they have different feature sets.

Apologies for prolonging this exhaustive and exhausting thread, but what is
the Gentoo suggested cron application for a non-24-7 desktop these days?  I'm
still using sys-process/vixie-cron because I guess that's what was de rigueur
at the time I installed this system, although on other desktop PCs I run sys-
process/cronie.

--
Regards,
Mick