On 12/11/2017 13:47, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:55:04 +0000, Akater wrote:
>
>> It looks like systemd scripts often (always?) get installed, regardless
>> of USE flag settings.
>
> Because they are tiny so impact of them is negligible. On the other hand,
> if you don't have them and want to switch to systemd, you would end up
> having to recompile half of world just to get the service files.
>
>> Why would they? Is this a policy?
>
> AFAIK, yes.
>
> If you really want to do this, you can do it with INSTALL_MASK in
> make.conf.

but you have to ask yourself, why bother even with that?

Yes, I know there are some Lennart haters around who refuse under any
circumstances to ever have anything on a computer that might in any way
be tainted by Lennart, no matter how tangentially.

But that's just daft. No-one complains about /usr/share/doc and the
large number of docs there, many of which are larger than all the
systemd unit files combined. Or what multilib setups end up doing in /lib

It makes engineering sense to install all the various init system's unit
and scripts for all packages, then the sysadmin gets to pick which one
is in use.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com