Hi Dave,
on Thursday, 2005-10-13 at 13:50:53, you wrote:
> The root partition is your key to accessing your box.  You basically want to
> have only static files on the root partition, not files that are in a general
> state of flux.

ACK. This will also keep fragmentation down and thus performance up.
For Gentoo, it may be a good idea to put portage stuff on a separate
partition because it uses tens of thousands of small files that provoke
fragmentation. On my laptop I have one partition with two directories
usr-portage and var-cache-edb that are symlinked to the respective
places in the root FS.

regards
        Matthias

--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
Fingerprint: 8E1F 1081 A466 2946  B98A B9E2 099F 3B91