On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 08:57:29 GMT David Haller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:48:08 AM CET David Haller wrote:
> >> So, your emerge is mostly IO and "emerge"-threads bound. Solution:
> >> adjust your build-threads[1], and then adjust your emerge jobs! See
> >> '--jobs' in 'man emerge'. Can't find where to set a default in a
> >> config-file for that ATM, but you could always alias/function/script
> >
> >> emerge to something else, e.g. put this in your ~/.bashrc:
> >Instead of all these aliases, simply edit your make.conf ( /etc/portage/
> >make.conf )
> >
> >And edit (or add) the following lines:
> >MAKEOPTS="--jobs 24 --load-average 48"
> >EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs 24 --load-average 48"
>
> Well, that alias/function/script is mostly for all the other (default)
> options I want ;) Hm. What's this EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS though? ;)) And
> how can I override them if not wanted? .oO( gotta read up on that )Oo.

Options passed on the command line (as in an alias) override any others. I
assume a function would be equivalent to an alias here, but I haven't
checked as I don't use them.

There used to be debates on the efficiency of alias versus function, but if
they're only taking nanoseconds to execute, what does it matter?

--
Regards,
Peter.