Rob wrote:

> The first thing I am not certain of is my recompilation of Xorg using
> the suggested USE flags.  I put the new USE flags in /etc/make.conf and
> then issued the command:  "emerge -N xorg-x11".  Will that work, or do I
> have to do the emerge with "emerge --newuse --enable bitmap-fonts
> truetype-fonts type1-fonts" explicitely?  Perhaps my understanding of
> USE flags is wrong for recompiling packages.

emerge has no "--enable" option (you can see this in "man emerge"), and
you don't need the -N option if you re-emerge a single package.
If you want to set USE flags, edit /etc/make.conf (search for USE
there).

To see the USE flags for the xorg-x11 package, try

  emerge -av xorg-x11

(look in the man page to find out what the -a and -v options mean; after
all it could be possible that I tell you something wrong).

The output of that command is (here):

|  These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
|
|  Calculating dependencies ...done!
|  [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r4 -3dfx +3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk
|  -debug -dlloader -dmx +doc -font-server -insecure-drivers +ipv6 -minimal
|  +mmx +nls -nocxx +opengl +pam -sdk -sse -static +truetype-fonts
|  +type1-fonts (-uclibc) +xprint* +xv 0 kB
|
|  Total size of downloads: 0 kB
|
|  Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

The USE flags prepended with a "+" are enabled, the ones starting with
"-" are disabled, the "*" after "+xprint" means that it's a changed USE
flag since the last emerge of xorg-x11.

bitmap-fonts, truetype-fonts and type1-fonts are all enabled here, and I
don't have them listed in my USE flags in /etc/make.conf. They are the
default (so some people can disable them if they want to).

> I wonder about this, because I enable the xtt module in my
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I get an error message that the xtt module
> cannot be found.  Using slocate I confirmed that xtt is nowhere to be found.

I don't know whether xorg has an "xtt" module. My xorg.conf has
"freetype" and "type1", but no "xtt".

Regards...
                Michael