On 12/12/17 10:15, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> That means every write has to be encrypted 4 times, whereas using
> encryption in the filesystem means it only has to be done once. I tried
> setting encrypted BTRFS this way and there was a significant performance
> hit. I'm seriously considering going back to ZoL now that encryption is
> on the way.

DISCLAIMER - I DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW THIS ACTUALLY WORKS IN DETAIL

but there's been a fair few posts on LKML sublists about how linux is
very inefficient at using hardware encryption. Setup/teardown is
expensive, and it only encrypts in small disk-size blocks, so somebody's
been trying to make it encrypt in file-system-sized chunks. When/if they
get this working, you'll probably notice a speedup of the order of 90%
or so ...

Cheers,
Wol