On 12/17/2017 06:45 AM, Melleus wrote:

> After some digging in the files I commented out v3.4 line in
> /etc/python-exec/python-exec.conf by hand and eselect then begins to
> work as I expect. The question is that I think that I should not edit
> that file by hand. So is it a bug or might I done something wrong?
>
> Thank you for pointing me in right direction.

This is being discussed in

  https://bugs.gentoo.org/635678

and

  https://bugs.gentoo.org/639578

It looks like the resolution has two parts. First, eselect was updated
to mark uninstalled pythons as being uninstalled. So I think they'll
still be shown in the list, but it will be obvious that you shouldn't
select them.

The second phase of the fix would be to update that python-exec.conf
file automatically, when the last version of e.g. python-3.4.x is
removed. I don't think that's been done yet.

Either way, it's a bug and nothing you did wrong.