David Haller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Dale wrote:
>> The key thing, remembering to force it to be added to world, which is a
>> lot easier than remembering to use -1 for ALL those things I don't want
>> in the world file.  Before I added the -1 option, my world file was full
>> of all sorts of things that have no business being there at all.  It was
>> causing huge problems with upgrades and such.
> Hm.
>
> # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
> 1140 /var/lib/portage/world
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Looking it over, it looks right though.
> And --depclean is hopelessly overeager here.
>
> ====
> Packages installed:   3511
> Packages in world:    1140
> Packages in system:   43
> Required packages:    2581
> Number to remove:     930
> ====
>
> Hm. I guess there's stuff missing from world (linux-gazette*?) or
> something's broke. I guess I should quickpkg stuff, run a depclean and
> go figure what's missing ;) adding to world/pruning whatever ;) I know
> a lot of those "depcleaned" pkgs are wanted/needed, so I missed adding
> stuff to world or deps are lacking... Oh well. Not while I'm cleaning
> up after the profile-13/gcc-5.4 -> profile-17/gcc-7.2 stuff (I'd
> already compiled most with gcc 6.4, with "std=c++14" for C++ stuff. So
> not much change there besides pie/no-pie.
>
> -dnh

I have KDE installed here plus other desktops as well.  While I use some
meta packages, I do some on their own as needed.  I have a lot of things
installed since I have a digital camera, burn CD/DVDs and all sorts of
other weird things.  Here is mine.

root@fireball / # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
201 /var/lib/portage/world
root@fireball / #

The way I've done in the past and read others have done as well, make a
backup copy of world, go through the world file and remove anything you
didn't install directly for your use.  If you see anything that is a lib
package, odds are you don't need that in the world file because whatever
needs it will pull it in as a dependency.  What you can do, remove say
ten entries that you didn't install yourself directly, you can just put
a # in front to comment out that entry as well, then run --depclean -a
to see what it shows.  If you see something you use listed, add that to
the world file to keep it.  If not, then let it remove them.  Keep doing
that with whatever number you are comfy with until you get a clean world
file.  This could take a while.  The biggest thing, don't let it remove
any system packages.  It shouldn't but depending on what your system
requires, it could.  If in doubt, use eix to see what the package is.

Also, it is rare that I install anything with a specific version.  I
actually found one listed in my world file and removed it.  No idea how
or why it was there.  The only exception to that, kernels.  Some of
those are done by version.  If you see a entry with a version, may want
to try to recall why because it could make that version stick and not
upgrade.  It's been a while since I did that.

There is a command that may help with this.  I've never used it and
would strongly recommend backing up your world file first.  There is no
help or options for it that show up here.

regenworld

Either way, doing it manually or using that command, you should end up
with a clean world file after some effort.  I would guess that updates
would be much easier.  Most of mine work first time with no problems.
Any failures are usually from the build itself.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)