On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 15:28:03 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 12:22:29 GMT Mick wrote:
> > Has something changed in 4.14.7-gentoo sources from its predecessors?
[snip ...]

> What firmware are you trying to install? This box needs firmware for the
> graphics card and the Intel CPU, and I've been declaring the file names in
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE and CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR. As the display works
> fine, and so does opencl on the GPU since I emerged dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-
> opencl, I assume that the firmware is being loaded. I didn't even know about
> a firmware_install make target.

Thanks Peter,

I am also declaring relevant firmware in the kernel for CPU microcode and GPU,
but they do not get loaded when I build kernel 4.14.7:

$ grep FIRMWARE /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="intel-ucode/06-1e-05 radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/
RV730_smc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
# CONFIG_CYPRESS_FIRMWARE is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE is not set
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP=y
# CONFIG_GOOGLE_FIRMWARE is not set
# CONFIG_TEST_FIRMWARE is not set

So I can't load a desktop because xserver will not launch.  I also recall
having additional firmware for WiFi/BT cards on this laptop.

The same problem exists on other systems, some running AMD.
--
Regards,
Mick