Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:58:04AM -0700, Rob wrote
>
>>I have never seen this behavior except with the Gentoo mozilla-bin port.
>>It is not rendering text correctly.  I have tried Arial Truetype font
>>and ordinary fonts.  What is does is print the letters of text with huge
>>spaces between them.  It does not occur on all web pages, but enough to
>>be really annoying.  I do not know if this is a port problem or a basic
>>mozilla problem.  Has any one else seen this? the mozilla version is 1.7.12
>

> Problem
> =======
>   I had the exact same problem in Firefox.  What's happening is that you
> are setting up *YOUR* fonts, but the browser is using *THE WEBPAGE'S*
> fonts, so what you do has no effect.
>
> Solution
> ========
>   The Mozilla menu sequence might be slightly different.  In Firefox, it
> was as follows...
>
> Edit
> Preferences
> General
> Fonts & Colors
>
>   Near the bottom of the "Fonts & Colors" tab, check the option...
> Always use my: [X] Fonts
>
>   Now *YOUR* font choices should take effect.

Actually, the solution for me was to get rid of the mozilla-bin port and
compile it from scratch.  Evidently mozilla-bin has some integration
problems with Xorg, etc.  Then it doesn't matter what that "Allow
documents to use other fonts" setting is.  My test web page was
www.msnbc.com.  Mozilla-bin totally barfs on this page, whereas the
compiled version renders everything correctly.

I only have one problem left.  Windowmaker starts up (when I am just a
regular user) then aborts because it can't find one of the TrueType
fonts.  That font directory is set in xorg.conf, but I am afraid the
problem is in the /etc/fonts directory.  I just don't have enough
experience working with those config files to get TrueType fonts set up
right.

But I have made good progress!  I am happy about that.

Rob.