On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 11:14:24AM -0700, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 01/02/2018 11:01 AM, Mick wrote:
> >
> > This is a coincidence.  Something *else* must have happened because
> > untarring
> > the brother archives did not interfere in any way with your @system
> > packages.
> >
> > Did you move to the 17.1 amd64 profile as per portage news item '2017-12-26-
> > experimental-amd64-17-1-profiles' and partly messed up the removal of the
> > symlink to /lib64?
>
> No, I did not touch any of that staff
>
> There should be al lot of packages in: /usr/lib
> but my dir is almost empty only one file left:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 53606 Sep 18  2008 libbrcomplpr2.so
>
> I think I have to bootstrap the system and start by unzipping untar the
> stage-3 file.
> How to untar it so to only replace missing files.
>
> --
> Joseph

Had the same happen to me when i created a kernel `make tar-pkg` and then
untarred it with `tar -C`. What happens is ./lib or ./usr/lib in the
tarball are directories, but on a normal gentoo amd64 system (not 17.1)
they are symlinks to lib64 and usr/lib64. The symlink gets removed, an
empty directory created and filled with the tarball contents and that's
what you have.

Do

# mv /usr/lib/* /usr/lib64/
# rm -rf /usr/lib/
# ln -s lib64 /usr/lib

and your system should be back.

Also, once you figure out what the problem is/was (empty /usr/lib), naturally
you'll google for 'tar don't overwrite symlinks' or something of the sort.
I'll save you the time: you want 'tar -h' when extracting.