Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, if you're running a local process that is trying to attack you,
> you've been compromised already, imo.

By your definition, you are compromised if you surf to the
wrong webpage with enabled javascript.

While this is arguably true, I would distinguish between various
degree of compromise and would prefer if nevertheless such webpages
would not be able to e.g. read the secret keys of a running gnupg
process.

> So, unless you're running some kind of server that offers execution time
> to clients

... or use your browser with not always disabled javascript ...

> and the few packages that run untrusted code.

You misunderstand: For the packages which run the code, the mitigations
like retpoline do not help much. It is the packages which _somehow_
react (or can be called) by such a code which need the protection by
retpoline built-in.
And this is an awful lot of packages since it includes also all libraries
which are possibly used by these packages, language interpreters used by
these packages, etc.  If in doubt, I would re-emerge the
full -e @world with corresponding compiler switches enabled.

Of course, rebuilding @world without changing your C*FLAGS before
would be pointless.