John Campbell wrote:
> On 02/02/2018 01:07 PM, Floyd Anderson wrote:
>> Hi Helmut,
>>
>> On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:34:23 +0100
>> Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@skynet.be> wrote:
>>> With glibc-2.27 installed I cannot compile anything, since most
>>> packages try to include <gnu/stubs-32.h>
>>> which doesn't exit any more.
>>> And downgrading glibc using a binary package doesn't work.
>>>
>>> It looks like I have to restore my system from a recent backup,
>>> very annoying!
>> Restoring your backup is probably faster but I want to point out the
>> possibility of an intermediate build chroot [1] to get back a working
>> toolchain. This helped me in the past to solve troubles with glibc and
>> when I didn’t knew about buildpkg/buildsyspkg for FEATURES variable.
> It's been fixed now.  glibc-2.27-r1 is in the tree and re-instates the
> x32 libs and headers.
>
> I just emerged the new lib and everything is find.  I have
> FEATURES=preserve-libs set so I'm not sure how the missing x32 libs
> might effect your compile but I had no issues.

While on this topic, I have a question about glibc.  I have it set in
make.conf to save the binary packages.  Generally I use it when I need
to go back shortly after a upgrade, usually Firefox or something.
However, this package is different since going back a version isn't a
good idea.  My question tho, what if one does go back a version using
those saved binary packages?  Has anyone ever did it and it work or did
it and it fail miserably?

While at it, if a upgrade really breaks a system, what is the *correct*
thing to do?  Wait for a new fixed version, even if it breaks things in
the meantime?  Just curious.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up.  I run stable on that BUT it's still
a good idea to warn others, who may not run stable and not know the
problem, yet.

Dale

:-)  :-)