On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 15:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > For my birthday (!) my children want to offer me a multifunction
> > printer, copier.
> >
> > I ask you for an idea which one they could buy.
>
> I despise all inkjets, but maybe that's just me.

It's not.

> I'd pick mono laser over any inkjet.

That depends on your printing needs. I've now got an HP colour laser AIO
device. It was expensive but it does everything I need with minimal fuss.

The only point I'd make about HP AIO devices is that while the hplip
package is free and open source, to use it with a scanner it downloads a
non-free binary blob. Whether this matters depends on whether you are a
pragmatist or zealot ;-)

> Many years ago, I worked with a Brother mono laser multifunction
> printer and the "print" part worked fine with Linux.  I don't think I
> ever tried to set it up the scanning.

I had a similar device and it was a bitch to set up.

--
Neil Bothwick

Stupid user error. Terminate user (Y/n) ?