On Friday, 2 March 2018 11:12:36 GMT Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install a second Gentoo system on a partition by running
> QEMU using that partition (directly) - this is to create and update a
> Gentoo
> system with different CFLAGS (for an older machine).
>
> Having no experience in such setups my initial problem is how to
> install grub2 on that partition (only). I don't want to modify the MBR
> of the whole drive containing that partition.

I do the same for my Atom machine by NFS-exporting its /usr/portage to a
chroot on my main machine. The question of booting doesn't arise; all that's
needed is a copy of /etc/portage* and the world file. If that sounds
interesting I can show you some more detail.

* Things like -march and --jobs differ to suit the host machine, but that's
about all.

--
Regards,
Peter.