I can see a few warnings pilling up on different systems when trying to emerge
chromium-65.0.3325.146:

warning: unknown warning option '-Wno-enum-compare-switch'; did you mean '-
Wno-enum-compare'? [-Wunknown-warning-option]
warning: unknown warning option '-Wno-tautological-unsigned-zero-compare' [-
Wunknown-warning-option]
warning: unknown warning option '-Wno-null-pointer-arithmetic'; did you mean
'-Wno-null-arithmetic'? [-Wunknown-warning-option]
warning: unknown warning option '-Wno-tautological-constant-compare'; did you
mean '-Wno-tautological-pointer-compare'? [-Wunknown-warning-option]
4 warnings generated.

Does this mean I should be using a different gcc or CFLAGS?

They mostly are:

CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"

--
Regards,