On 03/30 09:45, Dale wrote:
> tu...@posteo.de wrote:

> >> My biggest problem is that addons are broken on anything 57 and above.
> >> At least that seems to be the version that stops old addons from
> >> working.  Would the latest release have a way for the old addons to
> >> work?  If not, then it doesn't matter if it is 58, 59 or 60.
> >>
> >> Basically, I'm trying to figure out if others are doing like I am and
> >> keeping a older version of Firefox installed because of the addons no
> >> longer working.  If someone has been able to find comparable addons to
> >> the ones that no longer work on the newer Firefox versions, I'd like to
> >> know that as well.  Right now, I'm sticking with older versions of
> >> Firefox.  I don't like the security problems that may cause but it is
> >> what it is.
> >>
> >> Since I posted the message above, I've looked into Palemoon, Vivaldi,
> >> Opera and dug around to see what else I can try.  So far, none of them
> >> can do what pre 57 versions of Firefox can with the addons I use.
> >>
> >> Just trying to get ideas and info on this mess.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I switched to waterfox for privacy reasons and it supports the older
> >  plugin system.
> >  No need to stay to older version (keeping older bugs, which may
> >  affect seurity) ...
> >
> >  Waterfox is opensourced and it has a smaller memory footprint.
> >
> >  https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/
> >
> >  No advertising intended...I am only an user.
> >
> >  Cheers!
> >  Meino
> >

> I ran up on a site where that was talked about.  It's not in the tree
> tho.  How did you install it?  Is it just download and run it from
> command line or a manual addition to the menu system?  Is there a
> overlay with it in it?  While I like Firefox, the memory hog that it
> sometimes is, I'm not opposed to switching to something else.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hi Dale,

I downloaded the archive, unpacked it in a separate directory, moved
that to /usr/local/., made a symlink from /usr/local/bin/waterfox to
the executable in that directory and: DONE :)

Ok...I did an entry inti menu.xml of my openbox...manually ;)

Since waterfox is contained in a single directory, gentoo will not be
"polluted" and the removal/upgrade of waterfox is easy.

It is not the original genuine sacred of Gentoo, though. ;)

Cheers!
Meino