On Thursday, 5 April 2018 09:57:54 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 19:12:23 BST Wol's lists wrote:
> > >
> > > That is correct professional secretarial style, which I always follow
> > > too.
> >
> > I was taught to always start every paragraph with an indent. Which I
> > believe is against "professional secretarial style".
>
> There seem to be two alternative styles: either indent the start of a
> paragraph, or leave a blank line before it. I learned at an early age that
> an indent marked a new para (not some empty space that usually just
> happened to be left at the end of the line before) - I remember arguing
> that point at primary school, some time in 1952 - 1954.

I don't know the correct terminology, but if the title is centre-aligned the
paragraphs' first line ought to have a single space indent.  When I was in
primary school this was the prevailing style.

With the advent of word processors the titles as well as the paragraphs became
left-aligned with no space at their start, but this may have been a
typesetting style BC (Before Computers).  :-)

--
Regards,
Mick