For the first time in ages, today I tried booting into the recovery
mode.  Initially I did it by entering the editor mode in grub and just
appending "single" to the regular entry, but when that failed (see
below) I enabled the recovery entries in /etc/default/grub, rerun
grub-mkconfig and rebooted to one of the new recovery entries.  Same
result, namely: blank screen at the point where console video mode and
font normally switches to the settings configured in
/etc/conf.d/consolefont.  Multiuser boot continues to work as before.

This is not a show stopper because I can make a recovery flash drive but
it is annoying.  Anyone else seen similar and can help uncovering the
causes?