On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:56:12PM +0000, Lucas Ramage wrote

> Or output to file,
>
>     emerge --update --deep --newuse @world > emerge.log
>
>     # then you can open it in a text editor and search around.
>     # I took out the `--ask` so that it wouldn't prompt before starting

  This will *NOT* capture error error messages, because you're only
redirecting stdout, not stderr.  One way to get both is to redirect
stderr to stdout before redirecting stdout, e.g.

emerge --update --deep --newuse @world >>emerge.log 2>&1

  And I absolutely *HATE* commands that send "--help" output to stderr
rather than stdout.  That's why I researched this stuff.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>