On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 10:11:44 BST Mick wrote:

> I have been setting USE="-gtk" in make.conf since 2003-4 from what I recall.
> Perhaps this is the cause of my problem.  It blocks some packages which
> would be installed as a default in a Gnome based system, but are missing
> from my builds.

Now you remind me, I used to do that too. I don't remember when I stopped, but
nowadays the standard profiles seem to do a pretty good job of separating
Gnome from KDE.

If I say "USE=-gtk emerge -upDvN world" I get 11 packages to be reinstalled,
including kde-plasma/systemsettings. It may be worthwhile reinstalling that
one with USE=gtk to see what happens.

> In the last few years higher and higher screen resolutions make font size
> too small to read, especially as the users are getting older too!  ;-)

Tell me about it! It's a constant struggle for me, especially while browsing
the web. It seems that site designers can't, or won't, take account of a
user's need to set a large minimum font size.

> Thanks for the pointer.

I hope it turns out well.

--
Regards,