On Sunday, 10 June 2018 19:07:59 BST Wol's lists wrote:
> On 10/06/18 17:53, Mick wrote:
> > On Sunday, 10 June 2018 01:31:50 BST Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
> >> Okay, with all that advice, I gave it another try. I'm also setting up
> >> a VirtualBox for my WFH stuff and VB wants to use 10.0.0.0 for its
> >> networking. I've changed this to 172.16.0.0 so now I can easily tell
> >> that network from work network (which seems to use 10.25.0.0)
> >>
> >> I wanted to add a route to NetworkManager's VPN connection. It wants
> >> Address, Network, Gateway, and Metric so I gave it "10.0.0.0",
> >> "255.0.0.0" (this one shows up automatically), "207.x.y.z", "1". But
> >> then VPN fails to start with the complaint that the configuration is
> >> invalid.
> >>
> >> So I tried what I think is the same on the CL:
> >>
> >> $> route add -net 10.0.0.0/8 gw "207.x.y.z" metric 1
> >> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> >>
> >> So apparently, it's not quite as straightforward as I thought it might
> >> be.
> >>
> >> :-)
> >
> > Ahh!  If you're trying to set this up within a VM, this adds a whole new
> > layer of complexity.  I assume you're setting up a bridge between host
> > and guest device(s)?
>
> No if he's assigned 172.16/16 to the VM network he hasn't. VB defaults
> to a NAT'd network and it's always given me grief. I was going to
> suggest he switched to bridged.
>
> In settings, change the network adaptor type to bridged, and then the VM
> will get its settings and IP address from the DHCP server serving the
> local network. Makes things MUCH easier.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

If NAT'ed between guest and host and then NAT'ed again at the home router, you
are double NAT'ed.  As far as I know VPNs will not work through a double NAT
situation, unless you use your gateway or host as the VPN end point and then
setup port forwarding to the host from there.  Bridge the host to guest
adaptors and you should be good to go (once any other conventionla VPN
configuration problem is solved).  :-)

--
Regards,
Mick