On Monday, 2 July 2018 19:20:29 BST Corbin Bird wrote:
> On 07/01/2018 03:04 PM, Mick wrote:
> > What do you mean "would not load"?  From the live ISO?
> >
> > I had no such problem here on a bare metal install (no Windows) with
> > sysrescuecd.  You have to make sure the sysrescuecd is booting in UEFI
> > mode
> > before you proceed with the installation.
> >
> >> So ... Windows setup UEFI just fine. Gentoo is using GPT/GRUB.
> >> Every time I boot, the "Boot Menu" gets used to choose the OS.
> >>
> >> Corbin
> >
> > I am booting without a boot loader straight from UEFI as this not a
> > multiboot system.  So, unless I interrupt it pressing F2 to get into UEFI
> > menu, it will boot into the default OS image, which is the latest I have
> > setup with efibootmgr.
>
> ( Clarification ) The UEFI implementation installed on my MB would not
> load the VFAT driver.

What error messages, indications, behaviour do you get and at what stage?

> I did use a Gentoo install ISO to do the setup. The CSM is set to UEFI.
> ( If I turn off the CSM, it disables both UEFI && Legacy for the Video /
> Drive Controller. )

Well, the Gentoo Live-CD may not be the best image to boot your hardware with.
I'd give systemrescuecd a spin, it has never failed me so far, although a few
years ago I had to perform some tricks to get it to boot into UEFI mode.

> The VFAT partition was unreadable by the MB / UEFI firmware, without the
> UEFI VFAT driver loading.
>
> Corbin

If what you are describing re. VFAT driver is a MoBo firmware bug, then I can
only suggest you upgrade to the latest version of OEM BIOS/UEFI firmware and
if that doesn't work you return the MoBo and get another make/model.

--
Regards,
Mick