On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 7:06 AM gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not to put new openpgp-keys-gentoo-release
> into the portage tree BEFORE all existing Gentoo
> singing keys expire?

My guess is that it was an oversight.

I note that emerge --sync seems to update keys from the keyserver
automatically, and thus it didn't report any errors syncing for me.
On the other hand, I believe it will leave /usr/portage compromised if
an error is detected, so if you don't actually catch the error it
throws you can still be harmed.  I assume webrsync won't do that, but
I haven't checked (the repository I use isn't available to webrsync as
far as I'm aware).

Improving signature checking is an area of recent interest, as you can
imagine, so I suspect these will improve.

--
Rich