I'm not sure if there's a better place to put this, so please feel free to
tell me I should report it elsewhere (:

After the recent GitHub fun, I changed from using the GitHub git source to
git://anongit.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git, as suggested by some on this
mailing list. I completely nuked /usr/portage/* and set off with an `emerge
--sync`, which looked like it was going to take ages and clone about a gig.
Reading https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Sync, I figured there
was nothing much I could do about it, since the page speaks of the
`sync-depth` config option and states that 1 is "shallow clone, only
current state (*default if option is absent*)" (emphasis mine).
After multiple failures to clone (other side hangs up after a few minutes
-- I only have a 4mbps line, maxing out at around 450Kb/s), I thought I'd
try explicitly setting `sync-depth` in my repo config and found:

1) `sync-depth` has been deprecated (should now use `clone-depth`)
2) with the option missing, portage was fetching the entire history --
after adding the option (and nuking /usr/portage/* again), a new clone
happened in short order, bringing down only around 65Mb (according to git)

So I'd like to ask how to assist in rectifying the above:
1) the docs need to be updated to refer to `clone-depth`
2) I believe that the original intent of defaulting to a shallow clone was
a good idea -- perhaps that can be investigated. If the intent has changed
for some reason, the docs should be updated to reflect the change.

Thanks
-d

--
If you say that getting the money is the most important thing

Which is stupid.

- Alan Watts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXTZM_uPMY

*Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. *