I have exactly the same kernel (4.14.52-gentoo) and nvidia-drivers (396.24-r1) and I don't experience this issue (though games requiring Vulkan crash out sporadically - there's an ongoing issue on the nvidia forums for this, where apparently it's already been fixed in some ancient fork, and not merged back).
Perhaps this is specific to the card? I have a 660ti.

Have you checked that the nvidia module is even being loaded (lsmod | grep nvidia)?

-d