> On 2018-07-18, at 04:16, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>
> (3) I can scan without problems using Mint Xfce (on another partition),
> so it's not a hardware problem.
>
> (4) 'lsusb' lists "Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0418: 013b Seiko Epson Corp".
>
> (5) the 'epkowa' driver is the latest version : a download from
> 'support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan.php?model=perfection-v550&version=1.0.1'
> gets the same compressed files as are already installed (same sizes).
>
> (6) the output from 'strace' is at
> http://chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/xsane-trace.d1 .

I think you should look at the /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf file and make
modifications if necessary. You should compare it to the Mint partition. And
you should do the same for other configuration files like /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

> (9) Vuescan is a possible alternative : does anyone have experience ?

You want this to work with SANE because major apps like GIMP only support SANE
IIRC.

Andrew