IMO the problem is that qtchooser acts as one point to select ALL
components for the default Qt, be it qt4 or qt5 (and possibly qt6 in 2020),
without checking if the tool really exists.
It just forwards the call to an execuatble with the same name inside the
qt-installation's bin dir. (/usr/lib/qt...)
qtconfig got removed and people (with DEs lacking qt integration) couldn't
configure their fonts/colors/widget style/... anymore. So someone just
started to develop a third-party config tool to fill the gap.
qtchooser on the other hand is an official qt tool (at least it is hosted
on qt's servers). I think that's why they don't just call qt5ct ;) And it
would introduce a speacial case for just this one tool.