While I appreciate it's a damn sight more powerful than Windoze's
braindead file extension system, it feels to me like mimetypes are a
rogue chainsaw sometimes ...

How do I find out what mimetypes are associated with an application?
Going the other way is a simple "System Settings" options, except that
(a) I don't have a clue what half these mimetypes are, and (b) I don't
fancy going through ALL of them one by one looking for the program in
question. Oh - and I searched the web which kindly pointed me to the
config file .local/share/applications/defaults.list - except it doesn't
exist ...

All I want to do is find out what extensions Kate has tagged itself onto
- what it thinks it's going to do with a dot-iso I *do* not know!

Cheers,
Wol