Hi,

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:57:02 -0200
Bruno Lustosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just had a look at 'top' here, and was astonished by its output:
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 19328 isabel.s 15 0 511m 204m 16m S 0.0 27.2 0:02.47 firefox-bin
> [x4]
> 22668 lustosa 15 0 129m 97m 17m S 0.0 13.0 11:50.05 firefox-bin
> [x2]
>
> [...]
> I can't understand how firefox evolved from small and fast phoenix to this
> memory hungry beast that has a virtual space of half a gigabyte.

Hm, on the hand: yes, it _is_ memory hungry. On the other hand: You've
already said: virtual address space. And as I interpret the above
numbers, a lot of things is most probably shared among those processes.
You can find out e.g. by comparing their /proc/<PID>/maps.

> I mean... even IE doesn't seem to eat all this memory. In fact, I have seen
> very few processes eating that much memory.

You mean that tiny frontend to the OS' functionality? It certainly
doesn't need much memory, no. But remember, other Browsers have to
implement a lot of this stuff themselves and not rely on the
functionality that specific OS and its API offers.

-hwh